All Tennessee horse people dread the winter for 1 main reason…
WINTER = MUDDY HORSES
We are seeing LOTS of this at the Green Barn and we haven’t even reached Turkey Day yet!
So, in preparation, I am reviewing my protocol* for healthy horse winter grooming:
- Maintain skin health – a curry comb and a shop-vac does wonders! Just say NO to rain-rot!
- Treat your horse to a bath – warm water and hair dryer if below freezing
- Take the offensive against scratches – put Desitin (diaper rash cream!) on the back of the pasterns to ward off this skin inflammation
- Let down his hair – change tail bag (if your horse wears one) every 10-14 days
- Maintain hoof health – keep hooves picked out daily and treat proactively for thrush 1x week
*Courtesy of equisearch.com
If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing to our RSS feed.